Elms at a Glance

General Information

  • Founded in 1923 by the Sisters of St. Dominic (now the Dominican Sisters of Peace)
  • Member of a network of Dominican schools with schools and affiliates in the US
  • All-girls, grades 1-12; coeducational pre-kindergarten and kindergarten drawing students from throughout Northeast Ohio
  • Independent college preparatory day school
  • Elementary school awarded the 2012 Blue Ribbon School of Excellence Award by the United States Department of Education
  • School hours: 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
  • Team name:  Panthers
  • Colors:  black and white
  • Mascot:  Elmer the Panther

Campus

  • 33 acre campus in the historic heart of Akron, OH
  • 16-acre athletic complex  with two soccer fields, six tennis courts, two softball fields, and a track
  • High-tech science and computer labs
  • Library and virtual library access
  • Gymnasium and locker rooms
  • State-of-the-art fitness center
  • Contemporary dance studio
  • Modern theater
  • Chapel

2016 Graduates

  • Class of 38 students
  • One hundred percent of graduates were accepted at four year colleges and universities
  • Two National Merit Finalists and one Commended Student
  • Graduates earned $7.1 million in merit scholarships
  • The class earned 165 acceptances at 70 colleges and universities
  • Sixty-three percent of graduates earned a 3.5 overall GPA
  • Graduates completed 4,500 hours of community service 

Faculty

  • Student/faculty ratio:  10:1
  • More than 60% hold at least a master’s degree
  • More than 1/3 has been at the Elms longer than 10 years
  • 100% of faculty participates in professional development workshops and conferences

Accreditations and Affiliations